Shawl - Dragoness

 Hi Knitters,

I came across this shawl when it was advertised in the Vogue Knitting Live New York course selections. The designer, Alexandra Davidoff, was having a class on this shawl.  Although I was going to attend VKL in February, along with my knitting friends, I wasn't planning on taking classes; but, I really liked this shawl.

Together with my friends, I decided to have a KAL at my local yarn shop featuring this shawl. After researching, the designer has a mystery knit along with this pattern in 2018.  As a result, there are a number of Youtube videos that provide the explanation that I was looking for. 


Here are a few things:

1. To create dragon scales, you have to increase and decrease stitches on the right.  When increasing the pattern suggest the Double Cast On method.  The cast-on recommended for this pattern is extremely similar to the long-tail cast-on, except that instead of the two strands used being the working yarn and a long tail (as they would be for a regular long-tail cast-on), your two strands will be C1 and C2. The other difference is that although half of the stitches are created in the usual long-tail way, the other half are created backward from that usual way.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk0YFf3AbGs

2. After knitting three sections (up to row 43), I began to wonder how these scales were going to come together.  It was obvious that the sides on the first scale were turning towards the back.  The designer has a video which explains the finishing techniques.

a. Blocking - You do not open up the shawl.  Lightly steam block on the wrong side and the scales on the edges steam down

b. Sewing the "Dragon Teeth"  

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?vY=RbLfkgsPozA&t=435s

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spector - Joji Locatelli

TEALEAF SWEATER - FINALLY DONE

SUMMA STRIPES SHAWL