Brioche-a-luscious: Quarantine Knitting

Hiya!

It has been a while since I have blogged and I can't use the pandemic as an excuse.  As with everyone in the country, I have been shut-in for weeks.  My husband and/or I have ventured out, amongst people, only several times in the last 9 weeks.  We have tried to take a walk 3/4 times a week, just to get out of the house.

It is during this time, that I am grateful for my love of knitting and reading.  Since the pandemic, I have successfully completed items that have been waiting for seaming and blocking.  In addition, it has given me the energy to tackle a shawl that I frogged a few months ago - Andra Mowry's Briochealuscious.


This is a large and impressive shawl that is super entertaining to knit.  It is broken up in sections that contain stripes, short rows, speckles, and brioche.  I started knitted to the broader and decided that I did not like the color combination.

Since I have a great deal of time on my hands, I decided to pick it back up again.  After all, it is on my make 2020 list.  Since I have reorganized my stash, see what all this time has produced, I was able to pick colors that I believe I would like and work better, these are listed in my Raverly page.

I have found the pattern very well written.  However, I did get caught up a little in section two with the kfbf (knit-front-back-front) and picking up the wrap, K4.  The first time, I missed the additional increase.  The second time, I counted the wrapped stitch with the knit 4.  One error resulted in fewer stitches and the other mistake resulted in not being able to begin section three as indicated.  When I got to section four, I was excited to learn 2-color brioche.  I was pretty successful; but, I feel that the reverse side stitches are a little too loose.  I am hoping that when it is blocked that the stitches will even out.  I did not have enough of the hand-dyed yarn left in my stash to complete section five; therefore, I added the gold to finish this seed-stitch section.  

I am now on to the final section - section six, implied border.  Prior to starting this project, I looked at the remarks and comments on those who completed this shawl (on Raverly) and found that this is the most difficult part of the pattern. So, I wasn't surprised that I had difficulties; after all, I am not an experience brioche knitter.  I have put it aside for a while in the hopes that distance would make the heart go fonder.  Thus far, it hasn't worked.  

I have been pondering knitting the border separately and then attaching it to the shawl and began working with that idea; but, decided to knit it as the pattern dictated. I am glad I did.  I got about 2/3's of the way completed and ran out of yarn in both colors.  It wasn't difficult to find the off-white; but, the green was hard to find.  I checked online and reached out to a couple of LYS for a match and one of them came through... YEA!  I don't think you can tell.

The border is a bear in that it takes a great deal of time; but, the results are worth it.  What do you think?







Enjoy Knitting Each Day!

Jackie






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spector - Joji Locatelli

TEALEAF SWEATER - FINALLY DONE

SUMMA STRIPES SHAWL